Monday, March 3, 2008

on being a 'real' author

Simon & I made a book this weekend, it's about space and galaxies. Simon wanted it to look as real as possible (the cover is contact-paper-covered cardboard, and the pages are taped in there together).

On the cover, to show people that it was going to be a "real book" with "real pictures," he drew a special picture of a galaxy and wrote "National Geographic" on top ("because everybody knows how good their pictures are."). He asked me to help him color in the planets on the cover, making sure to remind me that "it's a National Geographic book so you have to use your best coloring."

On the title page, he started writing "by..." and then decided that he wouldn't write "Simon," he'd pick a pen name. "Because I want it to look like it's a real book so it has to have the name of a real author. Like David MacMillan." [who is that? I have no idea.]

I pointed out that since he would be writing the book, he was, in fact, the author.

"No," he said. "I'm not a book writer, I'm 5. Maybe when I grow up I will be a book writer. That's my choice, but I haven't chosen yet."

No comments: